Sunday, September 2, 2012

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

After spying the Snowberry Clearwing Moth larva last weekend, hoot owl karma brings us a glimpse of an adult clearwing moth this week.


Close cousin to the Snowberry Clearwing (also called a bumblebee moth) , the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth leaves no doubt as to the origins of its common name.


Beyond their shared love of nectar, the resemblance to its avian namesake includes body scales which appear quite featherlike, right down to its remarkably bird-like "tail feathers".

The hummingbird clearwing is active during the day, yet another similarity to the hummingbird.


Unlike the yellow and black pattern of the bumblebee clearwing, the green and maroon color scheme of this nectar-lover further reinforces the hummingbird theme. 






As summer comes to a close, the action is fast and furious at the butterfly bush. We'll keep our eyes open for other lepidoptera in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. we discovered these when they would come to our moonflowers at night. They are a treat to watch. There is a lot of activity going on here as well. I have been watching a hummingbird that likes to come to the front garden. I can just catch him/her visiting while I sit inside. I have been buzzed by him/her a few times when I am working on weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the fable of the grasshopper and the ant; the insects are certainly working around here as though winter is just around the corner... Being buzzed by the hummingbird still gives me a quick chill up and down my spine. I guess its the old instinctive rush of adrenaline related to the buzzing of a bee!

    ReplyDelete