Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Welcome Back, Spring. Sweet Gum and Yellow Jessamine


 Clocks have sprung forward, and clouds of yellow pine pollen fill the Carolina blue skies. The first morel has been spotted in the park, and the tulip poplar leaves are about the size of squirrel ears. Last year's sweet gum ball still hasn't loosed its grip, but this years crop will not be denied.


The golden trumpets of yellow jessamine have heralded the arrival of springtime for me as far back as I can remember. The first trip to the coast each spring always traversed a swampy river bottom or two, draped with masses of these golden trumpets.


The ditch behind the house was already filled to brim with evergreen Carolina jasmine when the purple wisteria clusters were still mere hints of a bud on the bare vines of winter. 


Summer's shade unfurling... 


Winged seed of forests future crowned with wreaths of gold.  

Welcome back, Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen Carolina Jasmine pretty.
    This weather has made everything jump out.
    But I could use it to cool down a bit before summer hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Meredith. The transitions seem to shortening in both the fall and the spring, although I'm sure we haven't seen the last of cooler temps this spring (I hope)... In the meantime, as long as we're experiencing the summer-like weather, I'm trying to keep the camera handy!

      Delete